Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:03:12 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Somewhat OT - authenticating sendmail to the verizon mail relay

Hey all.  I'm having a strange time getting mail out to the FreeBSD
list.  It was fine before, until I moved to a DSL connection.  So far
as I can tell, the only real difference is that my new IP doesn't
resolve to anything.  Thanks to zoneedit.com, however, my domain does
resolve to my IP.

Here's what I have in sendmail.cf:

OSTYPE(freebsd4)
DOMAIN(generic)

dnl undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')
dnl undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')

define(`confBIND_OPTS',`-DNSRCH -DEFNAMES')
dnl define(`confTO_IDENT',`0')
define(`confTRUSTED_USER', `cyrus')
define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrus')

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`M=u')

FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')
FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')
FEATURE(access_db, `hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
dnl FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_lmtp)
FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
FEATURE(`nocanonify')
dnl FEATURE(`always_add_domain')

define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:outgoing.verizon.net')
MASQUERADE_AS(outgoing.verizon.net)
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
FEATURE(`authinfo', `hash -o /etc/mail/authinfo')

. . .

I'm sure it has to do with the fact that Verizon's outgoing mail
server requires a username and password to do relaying.  I know
Sendmail can do this, but I can't understand the sendmail README info
on it.  I've gotten as far as the `authinfo' FEATURE, but I don't
think I'm creating the authinfo correctly.  I put the following entry
in /etc/mail/authinfo:

AuthInfo:outgoing.verizon.net "U:MyUserID" "P:MyPW"

and I don't think I'm creating the hash correctly:
makemap hash /etc/mail/authinfo
but that just hung.  Something's bogus somewhere and I can't quite
find it.

Until I can get this fixed, I'll probably have trouble from time to
time with some of the more tightly configured MTAs, because I've
commented out the last four lines there (dnl).  Unfortunately, I think
the FreeBSD list is one of them - so I'm stuck with Netscape for now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

What the scientists have in their briefcases is terrifying.
     -- Nikita Khruschev