Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:19:25 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, wpaul@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM Netfinity 5500 Network adapter

> Now, the next problem with this 5500 is the network adapter, it is the
> standard onboard adapter which is detected as a pcn card, AMD Am79C79x PCI
> 10/100 NICs.  After the kernel and the pcn driver are loaded the nic card
> seems to get turned off.  No link light at either end.
>
> Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this problem?

Yes, this was reported just recently.  The chap submitting the report
noted that if you boot with the cable removed, and then insert it after
the system is up, the link is detected correctly.

I've copied Bill Paul (the pcn driver author) on this, since he may not
yet be aware of the problem, or may want to work with you to resolve it.

> I noticed in the LINT config file that this type of adapter used to be
> handled by the lnc driver, is there a way to disable the pcn driver in the
> install floppies so that I can find out if the lnc driver will work?

It won't; I've already tried it on these machines.