Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:36:30 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing the hash table size for dummynet...

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 03:46:53PM -0700, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > [Sorry for the cross post: I don't know where the dummynet guru's live]
> >
> > I have a situation where I'm rate shaping a LARGE number of
> > concurrent TCP connections, however I've run into a slight
> > problem/limitation: dummynet has a max hash table size of 1024 and I'm
> > currently handling about 8-17K in TCP connections in a single queue.
> > :-/ I quickly looked over the hash algorithm and couldn't see any
> > reason why the max size couldn't be increased beyond 1024.  Could
> > someone comment on the attached?  -sc

the only thing to verify is that the hash function distributes
the sessions well among the available slots. I have not looked
too carefully at it, actually if you can provide (privately)
the output of "ipfw pipe show" that would be an interesting
data set. We are using hash tables with IP addresses in 4 places:
dummynet pipes, ipfw dynamic rules, ip_flow.c and libalias.

	cheers
	luigi