Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 20:13:49 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

> > Another money-making scheme, directly off the GPL, is what Peter
> > Deutsch did for Ghostscript (though this is not something
> > Stallman approved of): he has three licensing schemes, the GPL
> > for year-old software, a very restrictive "free licence" for the
> > latest version, and a commercial licence.
>
> This just conforms to the letter of GPL, but not the spirit of GPL.

Errr... First - who cares about teh spirit? It was mutilated to death many
years ago. Besides, it confirms even to the spirit pretty well. Nobody is
stopping you from taking teh GPL version and independently developing the
features that are in the newest version, releasing those and from then on
staying on teh top. The cost is just too high.

> > My intent is not to start a GPL/BSD flamewar. I'm only saying the
> > GPL thing is not as black as it is painted out to be.
>
> Actually, I find that the popular press (Slashdot and other Linux mags)
> paint GPL whiter than it actually is. Free software related items on
> Slashdot for example, feature a GNU icon. I'm not saying that Slashdot
> is representative, but for the uninitiated, the nicer side of GPL is
> more visible than the problematic side.

Slashdot isn't exactly an unbiased medium...

> > Also, it's not only software, but in the age of quick and easy digital
> > copying, the whole copyright scheme has to be rethought.
>
> What's your proposal ? I don't think anyone can pass a law asking
> people to make all software free for public good. Only commercial
> enforcement of copyright laws becoming unviable, can change the
> status quo. But if there is enough money at stake, people will find
> ways of "digitally" enforcing copyright.

You mean the likes of UITA(sp?)?