Date:      Tue, 31 May 2005 10:30:23 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Steve Friedrich <freeBSD@InsightBB.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org" <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Anybody have time to create a new port?

Steve Friedrich wrote:

>>not easiily done because mythtv heavily depends on v4l (or v4l2).
>>maybe ask on freebsd-multimedia about progress with this.
>>

>>cheers, t.
>>

>I don't even know what v4l is...

  Video for Linux
a VERY crude interface that really only specifies what interfaces a
video device should implement
to allow applications to talk to it.

Ther is almost no kernel support involved as long as teh device and app
agree that they are using V4L
(or V4L2)

There is a very small amount of kernel support needed to provide a way
for the devices
to register themselves as video sources or sinks, but this has already
largly been written,
and I'm looking at possibly committing it so that device drivers set up
to use V4L can be easier
to port to FreeBSD.  What is holding me back is that it would be nice to
implement a better framework that simply
provides a V4L (2) front/back-end for compatibility.

I've been out of circulation for over  a month but now I'm back and hope
to start looking at this again.