Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Wyness Casama <wcasama@citytel.net>
Cc:        Steve Coltrin <spcoltri@code.omcl.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: procfs: out of memory!

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Wyness Casama wrote:

> Thanks for the info. :)  I was thinking about the size of procfs (4k)  I'm
> trying to increase that memory space cause the procfs is always full...  I'm
> not too sure why, but it's preventimg me from even running 'top' or
> anything.

  procfs is always full because it is dynamically allocated as needed.  It
doesn't contain any real files, just a mapping of some kernel tables into
a filesystem.  Perhaps you thinking about the size of the process table?
Or perhaps, you rebuilt a new kernel without rebuilding the rest of the
world so kernel intimate applications no longer understand kernel memory
structures and complain about various "proc" errors?

Tom