Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 97 17:03:31 CDT
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: HEADS UP! mail black hole in freebsd relays somewhere?

> I've heard a few comments about mail "disappearing" in the .com relays
> somewhere.  Perhaps some anti-relaying is biting?  Greg noticed that the
> ns3.harborcom.net had anti-relay stuff but that he was getting something
> like 90% of his mail via there, and only a small number via the .sol.net
> relay.  Can we please check these two sites at least for mail jams?
>
> peter@hub[11:27pm]~-1009# host mail-relay.com.freebsd.org
> mail-relay.com.freebsd.org mail is handled (pri=20) by mail.freebsd.sol.net
> mail-relay.com.freebsd.org mail is handled (pri=20) by ns3.harborcom.net
>
> Greg's problem was solved when I directed his mail to go via
> mail.au.freebsd.org (he's in .au at the moment).  This leaves nagging
> doubts about the .com relays. :-]  He's had no mail coming in for periods
> of 8 hours or so at a time.  Are these two relays overloaded?  Do we need
> more .com relays?

mail.freebsd.sol.net appears to be healthy.  A quick telnet to the smtp
port had no problems sending me a mail message.  I don't see any unusual
log messages, and no unusual kernel messages.

There's a boatload of stuff in the queue (1170 req's) but the queue is
running current stuff and the remaining stuff appears to be all
"Operation timed out"'s and "Connection refused"'s.  The number appears
to be a bit higher than usual, but I've seen it worse before.  There
may be some delays in processing such a large queue.

I'll throw mail3.sol.net into the alias too.  If anyone notices any
differences, please let me know.

Administrivia: mail.freebsd.sol.net (a.k.a. mail2.sol.net) is due
for replacement in the next month or so anyways, as part of routine
upgrades and stuff.  I'm not sure what to do about anti-relaying
stuff: I'm in the difficult position of being a proxy for a lot of
domains.  Any advice?

The machine must be able to accept mail from anywhere destined for one
of the domains that sol.net services.

The machine must be able to accept mail from one of those domains and
send it to anywhere.

I haven't seen a really good way to do this that doesn't require
maintaining access lists.

... JG