Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 00:35:25 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        prankster83@geocities.com (Luigi Montanez)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Project Location

As Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> Maybe it's best to just point to [ftp|www].freebsd.org and say
> "Walnut Creek".

That's probably worst.  Walnut Creek CD-ROM is sitting in Concord,
California.  About 10 miles away from Walnut Creek...  ftp.freebsd.org
is located in downtown San Francisco, another 15 miles away.
(www.freebsd.org is freefall itself however, thus located in Concord.)

Other FreeBSD hosts are located on very different sites, like
ns.freebsd.org.  Don't forget the *.<country>.freebsd.org sites, they
are clearly a part of the project, too (and doing us a very good
service, regardless of whether they provide FTP, CVSup, mail, or other
services).

Also, while we are grateful for WC's contributions to the FreeBSD
Project, their relation to us is not that tight.  It's merely a
symbiosis: they provide the project with Internet access, and some
hardware, and they get a good operating system for their server
machines, plus a little profit from selling CD-ROMs with our product.
Note that a symbiosis is not a bad thing, neither in biology, nor for
us.

--
cheers, J"org