Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:13:27 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inode density for database machines - newfs -i

--------------enig07DF6E2D9D74F0296333BBEE

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> The current machine is using 2056 inodes for 1.2TB.. with 3,539,382
> inodes free. For the next machine I will use a higher number in newfs
> until I get the number of free Inodes close to 100K. That will give the=

> machine plenty of free inodes.

How long fsck takes depends on the number of used inodes, not the total
number. Barring a bug in UFS, you should be able to have as little
inodes as you want, especially if you know for sure what number to expect=
=2E

The only thing that might bite you is if the machine is (sometime in the
future) reassigned to some other duty that suddely requires a lot of inod=
es.