Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:03:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gjm11@dpmms.cam.ac.uk (Gareth McCaughan)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as proxy server for mail client

> Just out of curiosity, what does "popclient" do that "fetchmail"
> doesn't? I thought "fetchmail" was supposed to do everything that
> "popclient" does, only more and better.

Read RFC1957.

Among other things, popclient *expects* a space following the "+OK"
or "-ERR" response, on the (incorrect) assumption that all pop
servers will supply message text with their responses.  RFC1957
makes it clear that popclient does this in violation of RFC1725,
and recommends codifying this *BUG* in your pop server implementation
so that popclient doesn't have to be fixed.

Stupid workaround for an obvious client problem, IMO.

Similar workarounds are in place for the Eudora client (in the case
of checking the "don't delete" option checkbox, it uses TOP to
determine message uniqueness to avoid redownloading the same message)
and NetScape (which uses UIDL under similar circumstances).

Personally, if I were choosing between the two, I'd pick fetchmail.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---