Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:12:54 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        john@starfire.mn.org
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-ROM on Primary IDE, slave drive?

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 john@starfire.mn.org wrote:

> I have heard that the ATAPI boot image is set up for the CD to be
> on the secondary IDE bus, as master.  If this is the case, is there
> a way, with boot -c or something, to set it for Primary IDE, Slave?

The code is setup to look for the CD wherever it may be. For me (and many
others I guess) thus *only* works as the slave on the primary IDE
controller. For some, it works as the master on the secondary controller.
However, it may not work at all.

> I have looked in /cdrom1/*.TXT and /cdrom2/doc/* and found almost
> no information pertaining specifically to the ATAPI support.
> (Fortunately, "atapi" is pretty unique, because grepping for "-i
> ide" gets provide(s), side(s), and idea(s)... :-)  In fact, I have
> found almost nothing on ATAPI support: how it is configured or what
> options there may be.  Am I looking in the wrong place?  If so,
> where is the right place?

I think there were some patches to that lately. Try looking in the
hackers list, searching for wcd, if ATAPI wouldn't bring up anything.

> I have a geographically-distant friend who is trying to load FreeBSD
> on a new Gateway box with Win95 pre-loaded.  The CD worked fine
> under Win95, but the atapi boot image doesn't find it.

You may want to specify the exacy model of the drive. Someone might have
experience (either positive or negative) with the same model. I use
Creative Labs units.

> Thanks for any and all help!
>
> 		 John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
> E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG	    USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417