Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2017 20:35:12 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>, Geoffrey Huntley <ghuntley@ghuntley.com>
Subject:   Re: Help Wanted - Work with MSFT and help finish the port of .NET Core to FreeBSD

--nextPart2376486.hnIPfgAnxz

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 22:59:56 Russell Haley wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 10:15 AM, David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 22:02:43 Russell Haley wrote:
> >> +1
> >> I threw some comments on the open issues.
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I hope the porting of .NET Core has been progressing.  I must apologise, I
> > have dropped the ball on updating mono.  This will come with a working
> > version of msbuild which I am sure would be helpful in the porting
> > process.
> >
> > I'm slowly picking up the mono porting work on my side, and hope to get
> > something committed in the next few weeks.
> >
> > Do you perhaps have an update on your side?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > David
>
> Hi David,
>
> Tomas has been working dilligently over the last couple of weeks, but
> I have been in limbo with no computer and no time until a few days
> ago. The changes Tomas is making have been integrated into the head
> repos and I am attempting to build from that using the instructions
> provided on the dotnetcore wiki.
>
> Nothing I am doing is unique. Anyone can pull corefx and coreclr repos
> and follow along in the instructions.
> https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/wiki/Building-.NET-Core--2.x-on-FreeBSD
>
> I was able to get everything to build on Windows last night, and have
> the SDK (corefx) built on FreeBSD. The runtime (coreclr) is failing in
> some sections of the test code. I forwarded my errors but have not
> gotten back to them yet. I am currently fighting with virtualbox to
> try and get shared folders working. It looks like I need to rebuild my
> guest additions from ports. Nothing for free my friend. XD

Good to hear.  I had three questions around bootstrapping:
 1) If I understand correctly, we only need to do this once.  Once DNC runs on
FreeBSD we can bootstrap further versions ourselves (like Linux does).
 2) Is there any difference in the managed code (corelib?) between platforms
(i.e. i386/amd64/arm)?
 3) Cannot we currently use DNC for CentOS + linuxulator to bootstrap DNC?

> I sincerely would like to help again with the Mono build but finding
> time will be difficult.  I'd like to unburden you from the Mono 5 port
> so you can play on DNC! As soon as  I have confirmed Tomas' build and
> finish a step in an unrelated project
> (https://reviews.freebsd.org/D12921), I will get back to your port
> (unless someone else can step in).

I've made some progress on this.  The only major block is to add sn(1) to the
build framework to overcome the shortcoming of the new compiler csc(1) that
cannot produce signed assemblies.

Regards

David