Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:21:18 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Karl Agee <kdagee@hotmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnome-cd in gnome-2.10 not working right

--=-ju3yqD6cXFGi0ON5Zlp4

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 18:34 -0800, Karl Agee wrote:
> I am having problems with gnome-cd after upgrading to gnome 2.10.  It wor=
ked=20
> fine in gnome 2.8...
>=20
> Drop in the cd in the reader (/dev/acd0c), close it and gnome cd rec the =
cd=20
> is in there, and pulls down the info from the cddb server.  swell.  Click=
=20
> play, and the drive spins up to a high speed, tries to find a speed to pl=
ay=20
> at, and goes up and down in speed.  Of course never settles down and the=20
> playback is awful.

Gnome-cd has changed in 2.10.  It now uses cdparanoia as a backend, and
thus requires atapicam, and access to the entire SCSI subsystem (see
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q15).  I tested it here, and
it works fine for me.  Perhaps you're missing some pointers from this
FAQ.  You might also want to test goobox to see if it works or exhibits
the same problems.

You might also want to check your gstreamer settings, and make sure
you're using a good audio output.  I use esound without any problems,
but some have reported that esound causes scratchy play-back, and prefer
to use the OSS output sink.

Joe