Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:10:14 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Block based distributed file system

Tom Rhodes wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Just got hit with questions about "block based distributed file
> system solutions on BSD."  Similar to NetBSD iSCSI or Redhat's
> GFS.  Any ideas on how to do this on FreeBSD?  Perhaps docs
> somewhere I can read?  Thanks,

I'm not sure whether you're looking for a network block device, or a
distributed file system, but there are a few options: iscsi for freebsd
(very new, patches floating), ggate (geom gate - share a geom device
over the net), and nbd serving from FreeBSD.

As far as a distributed file system for FreeBSD, the only real options
are NFS, coda, afs, and Ivan Voras' tdfs (runs under Fuse, probably
lightly tested).  There is no cluster file system for FreeBSD (this
makes me very sad), and I've tried at length to gather people to build
or port one.

What are your needs?

Eric