Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:30:49 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Gorgonio Araujo <gorgonio@nexos.com.br>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FREEBSD-INSTALL@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1023 BIOS limit

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Gorgonio Araújo wrote:
>
> > My HD is a 6696/15/63 (cyl/hd/sec) Maxtor 83240D4 ATA driver. The "/"
> > was labeled as offset 0 and size 65536 sectors (so it's bellow cylinder
> > 70!). During the boot, before load the kernel, the system is complaining
> >
> >     "Error: C:2079 > 1023 (BIOS limit)".
> >
> > I guess that some boot sector was moved to a cylinder over 1023 by
> > bad144. Is it possible?
>
> Or you installed the system so that the root filesystem straddled the
> limit, and part of the kernel is over the line.

No. The root file system was just with 32M, so bellow cylinder 70.

> > If so what do you suggest to skip this
> > condition. Is there any other way then to create a slice just to keep
> > partition /?
>
> Make your root FS small enough so it'll fit underneath the 500mb limit (or
> wherever you're hitting it, you didn't mention how big the disk is in MB).
> The rest of the system can be wherever.

The disc is a 3089MB HD (6696*15*63*512). After my last message I
descovered that in the machine's setup there is a option to configure a
disc as a DOS or a non-DOS one. I'd put as a non-DOS and that's why I
couldn't boot with FreeBSD. Setting as a DOS disc it works whell. I have
no idea what a non-DOS disc means.

Thanks for your help,

--
Gorgonio Araújo