Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:38:49 PDT
From:      "Cosmic 665" <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Processor Motherboards

> >> I had the following questions:
> >> 1) Do people have specific recommendations about boards to buy/don't
>buy?
>
>I would reccomend against the Tyan Thunder 100.  Call it bad luck, but
>through no fault of my own (misuse, trauma, etc) my SIXTH board in a year
>is arriving tomorrow.  I have had 2 bad PS/2 Keyboard Ports, a failed PS/2
>mouse port, a bad SCSI controller, and most recently a bad IDE controller.
>Perhaps my reseller just got a bad batch, but this has been insane.
>
>	-Jeff Casimir

Add any ALTON's to the list as well...  DON'T get any board from
www.pcwave.com or it's china distributor www.pcchips.com.  Not only do these
boards suck I believe they contain invalid FCC id's.  They allways die in
some way-shape-or form.  Also, the Dual-333Mhz (NON-Celeron.. tried that..)
System I'm running often halts while loading the Kernel...  Dies *sometimes*
when leaving X & dies when returning to X from a VC in X (that could be
totally X related).  The voltage and I/O cards on most of the "Super Socket
7's " *Like to die* after +90 days (just in time for the warranty to be up
:P).  I've used a total of 8 of them... all but the Dual-CPU system I'm on
now has failed... (knock on wood this one won't fail *There is a god ...
there is a GOD :P*).  A dead giveaway on this motherboard is if the *BOX*
says *MainBoard* Accross the side.... run... There's a Subliminal message to
those letters that SAY "Mainboard & "Super Socket 7 accross the box"..  The
hidden message is "DEAD-BOARD" and "SUPER FUCK-YOU-7"!!!!  sorry about the
profanity :P ... this is only true...

don't get got.......

-Cosmic-665