Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:23:30 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Dump to Floppy Tape?

Happy New Year, everyone!

I realize that floppy tapes are not the ideal backup device, but I have an
old Colorado Jumbo 250 tape drive that I'd like to use (instead of
floppies!).

When I run the command 'dump -f /dev/rft0 /usr', I get the message "DUMP:
bad sblock magic number" and dump quits.

Does dump support floppy tape drives, or am I missing something?

Also, does the 'ft' command (ala, 'tar cvzf - /usr | ft "/usr save"')
support multiple-tape spanning?

I'm a newbie looking for a quick, simple way to backup before I make world
and build a custom kernal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

--Dan