Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:41:55 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@lust.geekhouse.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   New GNOME hacks, etc.

I've got a few questions about the new GNOME handling and stuff to go
along with it, mainly the esound bits.  I'll use the gaim port as an
example, since I'm in the process of updating it.

In the Makefile, there's WANT_GNOME and WANT_ESOUND both equal to
yes.  Down a little further, there's this:

   .if defined(HAVE_GNOME)
   USE_GNOME=              yes
   CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-gnome --enable-panel
   .else
   CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --disable-gnome
   .endif
   .if defined(HAVE_ESOUND)
   USE_ESOUND=             yes
   CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-esd
   .else
   CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --disable-esd
   .endif

Here's where I see a problem.  I didn't build with HAVE_ESOUND defined,
but since it's installed on my system, it's using it anyway.  I noticed
it's doing the same thing with xmms (which is building as I type this),
and IIRC, it does the same with GNOME.  IMO, this is not a good thing.
If I don't want to build something with GNOME or ESOUND and it's found
on the system, the port is using it anyway.

Am I missing something here?  What do I need to do in order to build
without that stuff?

On a side note, I've had some not too happy people email me regarding
the changes -- mainly talking about xchat/xchat-devel.  Before it was
only necessary to have gnomelibs installed, but now since the knob to
build with the panel has been removed and it's part of the HAVE_GNOME
definition, it builds *all* of GNOME.  It seems a lot of people
(including myself) would prefer just gnomelibs for the nicer icons,
etc., but don't want all of GNOME installed.  Just my, and others',
$0.02.

- jim

--
jim mock <jim@jmock.com>        work: jim@osd.bsdi.com | jim@FreeBSD.org