Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 19:28:42 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mcs@vpm.com
Subject:   Re: Help!! What is 'mb_map full' messages mean?

>I saw a 'mb_map full' message on the console and don't know what that means.
>  Can anyone enlighten
>me as to what that means?  This all started the other day when I got the
> message:
>
>    "too many files opened"
>
>When I had this condition, I could do anything frmo the command line and I
> attempts to login,
>remotely, failed.  The /usr partition was 108% full and dmesg said I a table
> full.
>
>A rebote of the server didn't necessarily fix this problem.  Now the server
> is behaving
>irratically and I need some help.

   First, your email is really broken and not replyable - the From: address
was not a fully qualified domain name. Second, you really need watch those
line lengths - 95 columns is a bit weird.
   Okay, now to your problem: the mb_map full is caused by there not being
enough mbuf clusters. Try increasing "maxusers" in your kernel config file
to something more appropriate (like say, 64 to start and if that doesn't fix
it, try 100). This might also fix the "too many files" problem, but I'm not
sure where that's coming from, so perhaps not.

-DG

David Greenman