Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:41:26 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        Mark Hummel <mhumm2@mchsi.com>, FBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade; best bet?

At 03:35 PM 3/25/2002 -0600, Mark Hummel wrote:
>Kenneth,
>
>I suggest you take a look online at BSD Diary.  There's an article there that
>I thought was very good about the program you're writing about.  CVSUP is
>over my head as well at this point.  Portupgrade looks a lot easier to me and
>i learned much on the Diary site.  Good luck.

Because portupgrade uses your system's installed port tree to determine if
an update is available for any given port, portupgrade will not do you any
good if your ports tree itself is stale.

Use cvsup to upgrade the ports tree, then portupgrade can be used to
upgrade the individual ports you have installed on your system.

See /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui and
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile for cvsup.  Then
/usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade/ to install portupgrade.

--
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/