Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 01:29:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        John Smith <ludwicza@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: colors really dark

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, parv wrote:

> > I've used Linux for a few years,
> > and I know how vim looks between every Linux system by default with syntax
> > highlighting on, it's just it very dark in FreeBSD's console.  I installed
> > gnuls and found it to be a much better alternative to FreeBSD's ls, since it
> > does sorting by extension, and the colors are much brighter, and easier to
> > see.
>
> well, as far as ls(1) & gnuls(1) are concerned, they just use different
> "fonts" & colors. for ls, all the colored listing are in normal font,
> i.e. not bold. whereas, gnuls uses bold fonts, which happens to be
> in "bright"er version of the same color than normal font.
>
> for directories, both ls & gnuls use blue, which is very unreadable
> on dark background. however, gnuls also uses bolder font, which helps
> a little.
>
> and for executable files and symlinks, gnuls uses bold font and
> bright(green,cyan), while ls uses red and magenta, respectively. color
> choices for ls, in this case, are not easily readable on dark
> background, understandably.
>
> you may be able to change to color definitions. to get some idea, see
> vidcontrol(1) and xterm(1) in addition.

Here's an LSCOLORS env var that looks pretty good on a black background:

LSCOLORS=2x5x0x4x6x464301060203
export LSCOLORS

You can change the default listing of regular files and the prompt
with vidcontrol, e.g., vidcontrol yellow black

Guess that doesn't help with vim, though.  :syntax on
turns it on, but it is truly lurid.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC