Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:54:43 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse" <jdw_list@wwwi.com>
To:        <RivaW@gmx.de>, "Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse" <jdw_list@wwwi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Circular log patches for syslog

I would certainly be glad if these patches were incorporated into FreeBSD
proper, just to eliminate the need to track future changes to syslogd and
produce new (possibly buggy) patches.  However, it is not clear that this
feature is of wide enough usefulness to warrant that.

Since it requires both a patch to an existing system utility and a new
utility, it doesn't fit the package metaphor very well either.

Hence, the patch and utility are available from my web page.  I'm not sure I
fully understand your concern, or the definition of "basic functionality"
but I can certainly say that it would be tough for it to be more modular and
optional than it is right now.  :)

From what I have learned, it is possible that this would be suited to
.../src/release/picobsd/tinyware but even that seems premature right now.

Jeff