Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 21:27:12 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   New bind not completely open source... why GPL is not always best

There is an article at Linux Weekly News http://www.lwn.net/ how BIND
8.2 will have some code which although still free to distribute it will
not meet %100 the definition of Open Source.

Highlights of the license are:
-Free to use
-Free to change as long as the they have the right to use the changes
-Some parts of the code can only be used for DNS handling functions
-If said parts of the code are changed they can not modify the API

The "parts" I am refering to are the DNSsafe part of Bind.

There are a number of people who seem to be outraged at this
restrictions and are crying out for changing the parts of BIND that use
DNSafe. So we are basically saying ... it works, it is free, we can
change it, but.... let's go and re-do it anyway.. and with any luck we
will leave some bugs or use not as safe methods.

I am so happy I use FreeBSD with it's BSD license style.