Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2013 09:38:53 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: auditdistd user preventing installkernel

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I was updating a newly installed FreeBSD 9.1 RELEASE box to 9-STABLE,
> and was preparing to install the kernel in order to reboot to test it.
>
> However I was immediately hit with this:
>
> > # make installkernel DESTDIR=/ROOT/9-STABLE-2013-04-13
> ERROR: Required auditdistd user is missing, see /usr/src/UPDATING.
> *** [installcheck_UGID] Error code 1
>
> I did see UPDATING...
>
> 20121218:
>     With the addition of auditdistd(8), a new auditdistd user is now
>     depended on during installworld.  "mergemaster -p" can be used to add
>     the user prior to installworld, as documented in the handbook.
>

> It instructed me to run "mergemaster -p" prior to installworld (this
> should always be done anyway, according to updating). But I'm not
> installing world yet, just the kernel.
>
> Should UPDATING be corrected?
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

This is, indeed, an error in UPDATING. 'mergemaster -p' must be run before
installkernel.

Actually, you are really supposed to run 'mergemaster -p' before buildworld:
     -p          Pre-buildworld mode.  Compares only files known to be
essen-
                 tial to the success of {build|install}world, including
                 /etc/make.conf.

Though, in reality, there has never been a case where it was actually
needed that early. None the less, it can be run then and there might be
such a case some day. In particular, make.conf could impact buildworld.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com