Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:31:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anoncvs server

> > > The answer I have received in the past: "don't check in your local
> > > changes and use cvs merge, and manually resolve conflicts, normally".
> >
> > John Polstra has explained more than once how to arrange for locally-
> > maintained changes _inside_ a CVS mirror tree using CVSup.  (I can't
> > tell you what's the magic, but simply since i don't think i'm in need
> > of it.  To the least, i remember that it's possible.)
>
> I suppose that this proves that you are better at writing ad hominim
> attacks than in providing useful answers to questions.

Heck, I have a pretty good idea how to set things up, and I have no use
for it.  I believe it takes John or something making a 'magic' BRANCH in
the CVS master repository in order for it to work, though I'm not sure
if it's ever been tested.   I know Peter asked about this in the CVS
mailing list, and the response was 'it's a local issue'.

Basically, you create a 'un-touchable' branch in the CVS tree that CVSup
will never touch.  But, it's no magic bullet.  You'll still have the
nightmare of having to merge in *all* changes from the HEAD to your new
'magic' branch, and branch-merging in CVS is a nightmare at best.

You might even be able to create the 'magic' branch tag on your local
machine, but I've not done it.

Have you messed with it at all?

Nate

ps. Whatever happened to you uploading a complete /sys tree to some site
for Julian/PHK to look at?