Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 08:49:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@cioeserv.cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP and Win.95

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Steve Ames wrote:

> Anyone built a DHCP server under freebsd and then had Windows 95 use
> it? I believed I had the server compiled and configured correctly but
> Windows 95 just does not see it... ARGH!

I've used both bootpd-DD2.4.3
(ftp://ftp.ntplx.net/pub/networking/bootp/bootp-DD2.4.3.tar.gz) and WIDE
dhcp-1.3beta (ftp://sh.wide.ad.jp/WIDE/free-ware/dhcp/) under FreeBSD to
serve both BOOTP and DHCP (Windows95) clients, so I know these two work.
These are the only two daemons I'm aware of that will respond to DHCP
requests.

dhcp-1.3beta requires that the kernel be built with the berkeley
packet-filter interface ("pseudo-device bpfilter 1" in the kernel config
file) and /dev/bpf0 exists ("/bin/sh MAKEDEV bpf0" in /dev directory).

Check for error messages and request/response messages in
/var/log/messages.  bootp-DD2.4.3 will log to the LOG_DAEMON facility, and
dhcps will log to the LOG_LOCAL0 facility; either way, on a stock system
all messages of priority NOTICE or higher should go into
/var/log/messages, so there should be some indication of whether your dhcp
server is running, whether it had any problems reading its configuration
files, and whether it has received any requests.

Are your FreeBSD system and your Windows95 client on the same physical
network segment?  If not, do you have bootp forwarding enabled in the
router between the two segments?  Can your DHCP server see & respond to
requests from regular bootp clients?

Hope this helps,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu