Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2000 22:33:05 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux emul: is nfs mounted dev directory a bad thing?

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se> [000606 11:44] wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is accessing the /compat/linux/dev directory (along with the
> > rest of /compat/linux) over nfs A Bad Thing(tm) in terms of
> > performance? My guess is the nodes made by mknod are just
> > references to hardware stuff, and then it doesn't matter much
> > if they're nfs mounted. My knowledge in the area of device
> > nodes is limited, though... Any suggestions, pro or against?
> > Does it matter?
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but NFS does not allow for remote
> device access, accessing a device entry over NFS will access you local
> devices. It's probably not a good idea.

That's exactly what I want; accessing the local devices.

The scenario is this: linux emulation, vmware (with
linux_procfs and rtc). All applications installed on an nfs
server. (The vmware disk images are local, of course). The
linux emulation creates device nodes, and they should act as
local nodes.

In short, I think you gave me a positive answer. nfs does what
I want ;-)

Thanks for your time,
Palle