Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 08:47:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hard Disk Led stays lit

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> In the Good Old Days drives often had several options for the meaning
> of the LED, such as ``am selected'', ``have power on'', ``am
> transferring data'', ``am writing data''.  It looks as if yours is
> saying ``have power on''.  Possibly there are DIP switch options to
> change the meaning.
>
> Greg

Greg,

I have similar symptoms on my hdd - my drive is a wd caviar 540 that
only fires its led when it spins up to read or write, at least under
Win3.1 and Slackware...when I am not accessing the device the lamp is
not lit.

Under FreeBSD the led comes on during boot diagnostics and stays on.
Surviving even a system halt.  If I reboot to DOS the led returns to
its `premorbid' state.  ;-)

Similarly, my Sony CDU77E/1.0e behaves erratically when I reboot via
shutdown -r into DOS.  This same behaviour occurred on Slackware.
So, my Linux/FreeBSD workaround for the CD is to halt the system
and do a hard reset.  Then Sony is happy again.  I am rather used
to this little dance...

Cheers,
Tom

    ----------- Sisters of Charity Medical Center ----------
                    Department of Psychiatry
                              ----
 Thomas Good, System Administrator            <tomg@q8.nrnet.org>
 North Richmond CMHC/Residential Services     Phone: 718-354-5528
 75 Vanderbilt Ave, Quarters 8                Fax:   718-354-5056
 Staten Island, NY   10304                    www.panix.com/~ugd
                              ----