Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 19:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/28616: ATA probe problem with VIA 82C686

The following reply was made to PR kern/28616; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To: Alec Wolman <wolman@cs.washington.edu>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:55:35 +1000

 > ata0: mask=03 ostat0=a0 ostat2=b0.
 > The delay appears to be occuring in the loop in the ata_reset()
 > subroutine - the busy bit is always set so we just keep going
 > through the loop. This occurs because the initial status0 and
 > status1 values are 0xa0 and 0xb0, which is clearly not what the
 > ata driver expects to see when there are no devices present.

 I found a similar thing probing ata1 with quite different hardware (old P-100
 system from a long-defunct manufacturer) with:
 	disk on ata0-master
 	CD-ROM on ata0-slave
 	disk on ata1-master
 	no ata1-slave

 I just put it down to errors in the ATA BIOS and learned to put up with it.  If
 it turns out to be a real bug, I can happily send any relevent info....

 Greg.