Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 96 11:19:35 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        mrami@minerva.cis.yale.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT

> On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>> Nobody ever said that english was a language
>> that made much sense, hell, it's a walking card-catalog of special
>> cases.  It's often a matter of great wonder to me that non-native
>> speakers learn it at all!
>
> What?  English?  It's easy!
>
> Off the top of my head:
>
> 			Nouns
>
> 		English		German
> nom-sng		the heart	der Knopf
> nom-plu		the hearts	die Knopfen
> acc-sng		the heart	den Knopf
> acc-plu		the hearts	die Knopfen
> dat-sng		the heart	dem Knopf
> dat-plu		the hearts	den Knopfen
> gen-sng		the heart's	des Knopfes
> gen-plu		the hearts'	der Knopfen
>
> English has only 4 noun forms, compared to German's 7

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.  German still has a
dative, which has all but completely disappeared in modern English.
Apart from that, they're the same.

> If I wanted to, I could get into the ten declination types in
> German, but I don't. :)

I don't understand this, either.

> 			Verbs
>
> English has four forms for weak verbs (walk, walks, walked, walking) while
> German has ten (kaufe, kaufst, kauft, kaufen, kaufte, kauftest, kauftet,
> kauften, gekauft, kaufend).

This argument is flawed.  You're mixing endings and tenses.

> If you want a really good (bad?) example of
> vestigal spelling, though, you could always look at French, e.g., quel and
> quelle, both pronounced [kwel].  French las lost a gender distinction in
> the spoken language, but retained it in the written one!

That depends on where in France you are.  The 'e' at the end of
'quelle' is definitely pronounced in the South, and also for emphasis
in the North.  And this is just one aspect of gender.  If somebody
says "Tu es folle", you don't need to read it to know they're talking
to a female.

> So in short, in my opinion the English language is one of the cleanest in
> design in many facets (and, of course, sucks in others).  But it's
> definitely not appreciably more difficult than most other languages for
> non-native speakers to learn.  Most people I've talked to who have learned
> English as one of *two* foreign languages have said that English was the
> easier of the two to learn (most people who know only Mother Tongue and
> English bitch about English because, well, foreign languages are more
> difficult to master than native ones :).

I think I'd go for Spanish as easier than English.

Greg