Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 09:21:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Daniel Haischt <danielh@privat.toplink.de>
Subject:   Re: deleting a directory with specil characters

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Daniel Haischt wrote:

> A friend of mine created a directory called 'Startmenü'.
> (Don't how he did that)
>
> Here my question: How can I delete those directorys like the one above.

There are 2 ways you could do this:

1) Escape the | character with a backslash, i.e.:  rm Startmen\|

2) Use a shell that does filename completion, like bash or tcsh.  Then
type "rm Startme", and before hitting ENTER, hit the TAB key, which will
make the shell complete the filename.  The shell will automatically escape
the | character for you, and after it completes the filename, then hit
ENTER to remove it.