Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:24:01 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: System freezes due to print job!!!

At 3:12 PM +0000 11/8/01, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
>2. Problem:
>
>- I have a 100 pages PDF book to print and I printed about 50 pages.
>   I left the rest of the pages in a queue job.
>- When I restart the system with the printer on and without paper,
>   the system freezes at login time.

>I think that lpd is waiting for paper in the printer so that the
>queue job starts or is wainting that the printer becomes online.
>
>If the printer is off the system starts normally.
>
>Does this problem happened to anyone?

This looks very similar to the following PR:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/10991

I'm not sure if anyone is actively pursuing this.  'mike@freebsd.org'
was the last person who commented on the PR.  I haven't looked into
the issue myself because I'm assuming it is an issue with the kernel
or some driver, and not "lpd" per se.  By that I mean, 'lpd' is just
copying the file to a device, and I would expect that should not
freeze up the entire machine -- even if lpd is doing something wrong.

The other reason I haven't looked into it is that all the printing I
do is actually network-based.  I don't have any printers connected to
a serial, parallel, or USB port...   :-)