Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:46:32 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Oliver Braun <obraun@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Maintainer Question] How to handle this? net/rsync core dump solution

> PR 36998 reports a problem with net/rsync
>          -z option core dumps on large files
>
> I could reproduce this error.  The problem does not occur if you install
> manually from source.
>
> The solution on my boxes was to add -O2 to ${CFLAGS}. With -O it does
> not work. Without respection system wide CFLAGS rsync uses -O2.
>
> But how could I handle this in the port?
>
> Add
>   CFLAGS+=        -O2
> to the Makefile?
>
> Any other ideas?

That's correct.  The only thin you have to worry about is if someone
has -O6 or some other optimization specified in their /etc/make.conf.
I don't know if gcc does the "right thing" or even what that behavior
is.  <:~) What if they've explicitly specified a -O?  Will it use the
lowest specified optimization?  ::shrug:: If you could somehow nuke
the -O*'s then append -O2 that'd probably be the most correct
solution.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden