Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:05:28 -0600
From:      Jason Bacon <jwbacon@tds.net>
To:        Nilton Jose Rizzo <rizzo@i805.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some informations to beginner in cluster

I would guess you've already found these links, but if not:

http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/papers/bsdcon2003/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBpsRb9fJ4Ds

A few things I would add:

At its core, I think FreeBSD is an ideal OS for clusters.  It's faster =20=

and more stable than any other OS I've worked with.

In my past life I managed about 30 Linux workstations using a wide =20
variety of hardware and several large servers for fMRI research.   The =20=

expected uptime of the Linux workstations varied from about a week to =20=

infinity.  We experienced frequent dropped connections on long-running =20=

file transfers.   The Linux NFS servers frequently froze up under =20
heavy load.   I reproduced all these problems over several different =20
Linux distributions running kernels from 2.2 through early 2.6.

I decided to try FreeBSD on the servers, and they never crashed =20
again.  In the several years I remained there, they only went down for =20=

upgrades and power outages.  I eventually rolled FreeBSD out to the =20
workstations, and most of them never crashed again (unless there was a =20=

hardware problem, someone force-ejected a DVDRAM, etc.)

This is not to put Linux down, it's just pointing out that FreeBSD =20
worked better for us in an environment where maximum stability was =20
critical.  We had researchers routinely running analysis jobs for =20
weeks or months, and moving datasets of 20 or 30 gigabytes to and from =20=

the fileservers.  FreeBSD's stability made all this run smoothly and =20
prevented a lot of setbacks in the research.  Based on this =20
experience, I would have a lot of confidence in FreeBSD as a cluster =20
platform.

That said, Linux has its place as well.  If I were going to fill a =20
school computer lab with general-use desktop machines for development, =20=

Internet, etc., I would lean toward Ubuntu at this point for ease of =20
setup and maintenance.  Having to reboot them once a month isn't going =20=

to pose a problem in that environment.

The "obvious" advantage of Linux for clusters is availability of more =20=

applications, although FreeBSD can run most Linux applications.  I've =20=

run Matlab versions 6.5, 7.3, and now 7.7 for Linux on FreeBSD.  I've =20=

seen reports of people running Mathematica and other apps.  Matlab =20
7.7.0 works very well on FreeBSD 8.0, Java desktop and all.  I have a =20=

mostly functional port for it at http://personalpages.tds.net/=20
~jwbacon.  There's also a port called "cluster-installer" under =20
development to help automate the setup of a FreeBSD cluster.  You =20
should be able to use it to set up a small FreeBSD cluster in about =20
half a day.  ( Note that there's a bug in the Ganglia port for which I =20=

have submitted a PR. Check it out before attempting to set up =20
Ganglia. )  I've started working on ports for DL_POLY and Lava =20
(although the latter is low priority given that Sun Grid Engine and =20
Torque are already in the ports tree).

Good luck,

	-J