Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 00:43:01 +0200
From:      randy <randy@24on.cc>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Aur=E9lien?= Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD like VIA chipsets ?

hi,

* Aur?lien Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr> [2002-07-28 18:50]:
> I'm trying to get temperature, fans speeds etc.. from my
> motherboard, so i tryed playing with 'device' in the kernel config.
> As i have a motherboard with VIA chipsets so i put the following in
> the config file:
>
> device		iicbb
> device		iicbus
> device		iicsmb
> device		smbus
> device		smb
> device		viapm

this is exactly what i have in my kernel config aswell, should work
ok!

> Next boot 'viapropm' is detected. I tried playing with many utils
> (xmbmon, lmmon, healthd, even tried to use cpqhealth but it's only
> for linux)

xmbmon (and mbmon) should work - i didn't get healthd to display
correct data, but i think it only works for other chipsets or
motherboards.

> What is more strange is that when i touch some stuff in my kernel
> config (i add 'device snp' 'pseudo-device gzip' 'pseudo-device vn'
> and remove 'device usb') the 'viapropm' detection at boot disapears!
> and instead there's
>
> isab1: <PCI to ISA bridge (vendor=1106 device=3057)> at device 7.4
> on pci0
>
> 0x30571106 is the chipID of VIA 82C686 power management chipsets but
> it's detected as a bridge (i don't have a lot of knowledge in
> hardware so i don't know if this good), here is a pciconf -lv line
> about this chipset:
>
> isab1@pci0:7:4: class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x30571106
> rev=0x30 hdr=0x00
>
>     vendor    = 'VIA Technologies, Inc'
>     device    = VT82C686A/B ACPI Power Management Controller'
>     class     = bridge
>     subclass  = PCI-ISA
>
> i don't know if this detected correctly, it's why I ask you, but if
> this the case it could be the reason why every utils i tried fail.

this is what dmesg says on my machine:

viapropm0: SMBus I/O base at 0x400
viapropm0: <VIA VT82C686A Power Management Unit> port 0x400-0x40f at device 7.4 on pci0
viapropm0: SMBus revision code 0x40
smb0: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0

what does your mbmon output look like? (mbmon is like xmbmon but for
the command line).

> In my oppinion, i think there is a way to obtain the MB (or CPU)
> temprature as on a laptop when the computer is too hot, the fan goes
> up; but maybe it's not directly retrievable.

you're right, and it definately works - i use mbmon to get the
temperature and fan speed and display it with mrtg.

have you checked the advanced power management settings in your bios?

so long,
randy