Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 18:54:07 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, scrappy@hub.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

Jonathan Lemon stands accused of saying:

> Another possibility is illustrated in a recent ASPLOS paper on robustness
> in the face of operating system crashes.  IIRC, their system (Petal?) has
> the entire DRAM on a battery backup, and after a crash/reboot, a diagnostic
> utility goes through memory and writes out any pending data buffers.

FreeBSD for the NCR Tower! Yes! Yes!

An excellent trick to play on the junior sysadmin on one of these systems;
walk up to it, pull the wall plug, let it spin down and plug it back in.

An excellent trick for the senior sysadmin to play on you; "oh, by the way,
I borrowed that battery out of that unit for my motorbike...".