Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:27:02 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Dmitry Khrustalev <dima@bog.msu.su>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>, patl@phoenix.volant.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is xtend in the base system?

> 	Your yesterday's cause resulted in that hardware that perfectly
> worked for me is now unsupported in base system in favor of some not
> existent port solution. I fail to see any value in this.

Not to continue the bloat-vs-anti-bloat debate here (which has been
done so often and for so long that we even now divide ourselves into
"Bloatist" and "Anti-Bloatist" parties, just like Republicans and
Democrats here in the U.S.) but just to note that with the quickcam in
particular, what you're seeing isn't so much the permanant retirement
of that driver so much as a temporary and unfortunate lull in support
for it.

Mike Smith, the executioner of the old driver, was supposed to come up
with something new which supported both mono and color QCs as a
pre-condition for being allowed to kill the old driver, but 2.2.6 sort
of happened in the middle of that and he got yanked into other
pursuits which delayed the fulfillment of those terms.  We have gone
so far as to purchase him one of each for testing (I see them sitting
on his shelf each time I walk into his office :) and now it's just
down to you QC users browbeating Mike into coughing up the promised
new support. :-)

						Jordan