Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:35:17 -0500
From:      "Sandro Mancuso" <sandromancuso@hotmail.com>
To:        "'Bill Moran'" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        "'FBSD'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Stupid question: done cvsup, all the upgrade stuff... make this, make that... still says I'm on fbsd4.4

*snip
> its
> > >
> > > Is there a question somewhere? Is something wrong?

*snip*

> It should say 4.5.
> Did you mount the new drive properly (i.e. have you verified that
> you are
> building the same sources that you CVSUPed)?

[SM] I'm not quite sure what you mean.  I don't see how I may have
mounted it wrong.  I simply replaced the old drive with the new one, and
just ran the install from the CD.  I started the upgrade process before
even securing the box further... Here's what the df output gives me:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a     99183    38911    52338    43%    /
/dev/ad0s1f   3829204  1292809  2230059    37%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1e     19815      909    17321     5%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

> In general, I would carefully look for user error here first.
> * Make sure your supfile says RELENG_4 and not RELENG_4_4

[SM]
weird.  I know for a fact I edited
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile; I got rid of all the
commentary at the top of the file.  However, its back.  I'm assuming
it's a result of having upgraded.
I do know for sure however, that I was using "RELENG_4"

> * Ensure that the cvsup process completed successfully
> * Make sure each of the various "make" processes completed properly
> etc, etc

[SM] I was watching through all of it for the entire 8+hours it took to
buildworld, everything looked ok (after I started it, I learned of the
-j flag I could have used, hehe).  Cvsup completed without a hitch, as
did the make buildworld and make installworld later on

> You may also want to make sure you're not using a mirror site that's
> completely out of date.  I don't know of any mirrors that are that
> far out
> of date, but it's a possibility.

[SM] I sincerely believe that this is the case now.  I'm going to try
again, on another server, possibly simply the main one.  I was using
either cvsup.ca.freebsd.org or cvsup2.ca.freebsd.org. I've seen the .ca
mirror of the freebsd.org ftp be way behind before (which is too bad,
because its SO much faster for me than ftp.freebsd.org) It took some 2
months or so before it saw 4.4release... back when it first appeared.

Thanks