Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 17:35:49 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd and ftd

On Sat, 14 February 1998 at 14:40:02 +0900, Michael Hancock wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> I'm a bit disappointed with CCD.  I had originally planned just to
>> extend it, but I find it too primitive.  It's not just "light
>> weight"--it's deficient.  It handles faults very badly, and it offers
>> multiple possibilities for shooting yourself in the foot.  In
>> addition, I don't think its performance is better than vinum (mine) is
>> going to be, though that remains to be seen.  About the only advantage
>> is that it is significantly smaller, but I don't expect the typical
>> user of either driver to be concerned about another 20 kB of memory.
>>
>> As a result of these problems, vinum is effectively a rewrite, though
>> I've been looking very carefully at CCD for implementation ideas.>
>
> Another reference you might want to use is the WinNT Server Resource Kit
> 4.0 - Server Resource Guide.  It describes the disk partition table
> structures and signatures used by NT FtDisk driver to track info about
> disks in a volume.

Is this different from the current Microsoft partition table?  My
current intention is to add a supplementary disk label (thus solving
the ccd problem of not knowing what's on the disk).  But it wouldn't
be difficult to change that.

> What does vinum mean?

It's Latin for wine.  You may recognize the quotation "In vino
veritas" :-)  It leans somewhat on the Veritas Volume Manager.

> I hope you end up making the device file something Unix-like and
> easy to remember like ftd.

Better than that.  You get to name the device files yourself.  They're
on the disk, so when the vinum LKM is started, it finds the volumes
(wherever they may be) and creates the device files.  Things will, of
course, improve with devfs.

Greg