Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:51:11 +0100
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Thunderbird no longer viewing http URLs

El Mi=E9rcoles, 23 de Febrero de 2005 21:50, Joe Marcus Clarke escribi=F3:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> | El Mi=E9rcoles, 23 de Febrero de 2005 18:53, Joe Marcus Clarke=20
escribi=F3:

> | escribi=F3:
<snip/>

> | The main problem is that, after the uri patch, if you have gconf2
> | installed, the network.protocol-handler.app may don't work.
>
> I think it will if you set network.protocol-handler.external.http to
> false, and network.protocol-handler.expose.http to true.
>
> | This is only used if mozilla apps can't read gnome registry, and
> | I'm sure it doesn't work if you build with libgnomevf2 enabled.
>
> I think it will.

Well, I may not test all the cases, but I test what you point without=20
success.  Also, the code seems point that, if it can be read from gnome=20
registry, this takes precedence about the .app setup.

You must have the uri potocol exposed first.  After that, if this=20
resolved as external, the gnome registry is used (if avaiable). =20
The .app setup is only try if the gnome registry fails.

> | I'm not sure if the libgnomevfs2 depend is really need, but we
> | allready have a knob for this. Maybe better add a knob for only
> | enabled gconf2 RUN_DEPENDS.
>
> This was for SMB URIs as I recall.

It seems to improve general mime support. But I'm can't confirm this.=20
I'm afraid that the name of the option was hide what we expect of the=20
=2D-disable-gnomevfs.

Also, I think this is more in the line of do 'official builds'.  We may=20
'--enable-pango', but we must '--disable-gnomevfs'.

> | I'm not talking about take-off the knob, but on change it from
> | 'default disable' to 'default enabled'.  People really needing it
> | may build firefox without libgnomevfs support.
> |
> | The gconf based uri helper configuration is the only thing we can
> | 'safe document' in a FAQ.
>
> How is that?  What I listed above is "safe" to document.

=46irts, auto-registration works in gconf.  After the first run of=20
firefox, all gnome apps (included thunderbird) use firefox for http.

Second, as the gnome-registry is take in precedence to the .app option,=20
I can document how to use gconf-editor to, as example, open the mailto:=20
uris from firefox in kmail.

The problems to document the .app setup may come from:
=2D build firefox with the patch, but without vfs or gconf (nor installed)
=2D build and install gconf2
=2D add an .app option to point mailto to, let say, kmail

Open a mailto: and, if you get, let say, evolution instead of kmail,=20
your're in troubles.

> | Also, the thunderbird->others case is more simple (http, https)
> | that the firefox->others case (mailto, news, callto, ...)
>
> Same thing as mailto above.
>
> | Other point in the gconf2 thing is the auto registration.  You
> | launch firefox and, if your gconf settings don't point to firefox
> | for http and so, a dialog appear to make 'firefox your default
> | browser', changing this to point at firefox.
>
> What's your point?  The way Firefox works is to dynamically load the
> libraries at run-time if present.  For non-GNOME users that don't
> want any GNOME integration can build Firefox with out it, and with
> some about:config hacking, get things to work.

I think you're missing the point.  mozilla apps (not only firefox) are=20
becoming more and more gnome apps and use gconf for config.

You may also use other gnome apps in, let's say, KDE, but they still=20
obey to gnome registry config, not KDE config.

I agree this is a real problem, and a unified desktop (or, at last, with=20
less variants) may be of interest.  But this is out of this thread.

> I think all of this could probably be solved by coming up with some
> clear FAQ documentation.
>
> Joe

=2D-
  josemi