Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2006 08:07:39 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Brian Clapper <bmc@clapper.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.7 and Java JRE

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:23:10PM -0400, Brian Clapper wrote:
> On 06/07/06 17:05, overcanada wrote:
> > I have a server with FeeBSD 4.7 and require a Java Runtime Environment.
> > FreeBSD.org offers only JRE 1.5.
> > www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml
> > Will it work on my server running FreeBSD 4.7? If not where can I download a
> > Java JRE version that will install and work on my FreeBSD server? I need to
> > install Java JRE 1.4.2 as a minimum.
>
> You can build either 1.5.0 or 1.4.2 from ports easily enough. I've been
> using JDK 1.4.2 and JDK 1.5.0 (both built from ports) on a 4.11-RELEASE
> server for awhile now, and they both seem to work fine for me.
>
> Your mileage may vary, of course.

FWIW, 4.7 may be too old for 1.4.2 or 1.5.0.  At the very least you may
have to patch and rebuild libc_r to get it to work.  I can't recall exactly
when the changes to it were made, but it was around that time frame.  4.8
definitely has them in, but you may as well upgrade to 4.11 if you need to
update the box (which may be a good idea for other reasons).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org