Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 07:39:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      jeh@anubis.network.com (Jeff Henning)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Networking blues...continued (fwd)

> >> I can't help you until I know more about your network.  ASCII art and
> >> ifconfig -a / netstat -rn output would be very helpful.
> >>

> >> Doug White                              | University of Oregon
> >> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
> >> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major
> >>

> >              ----------------------            ---------------------
> >             |    P5/150            |          |     486/33          |
> >             |   slayer.network.com |          | pantera.network.com |
> >             |    10.0.1.1          |          |    10.0.1.2         |
> >             |                      |          |                     |
> >             |                      |          |                     |
> >             |                      |          |                     |
> >             |                      |          |                     |
> >             |                      |          |                     |
> >             |                      |          |                     |
> >  ---------  |                      |          |                     |
> >  | modem |--|                      |          |                     |
> >  ---------  |                      |          |                     |
> >             | 3Com Ether III combo |          | 3Com Ether III combo|
> >              ----------------------            ---------------------
> >                        |  Coax + terminator              | Coax + terminator
> >                        |                                 |
> >                         ---------------------------------
> >
> Have you checked the Coax/termintaors cable itself, and that the BNC port
> is enabled on the cards? It maybe on auto or on RJ45...Make a small
> crossover cable and see if that clears up the problem...
>
> later

I tried 2 different sets of terminators and 2 coax cables.  I used
the 3Com utility to program the card.  I reprogrammed the cards last
night to use the RJ45 ports and hooked both up to a 8-port hub.  It
appears that nothing is going out over the wires.  Also, when I
rebooted last night, the ep probe complained about the card being
in "Plug and Play" mode but the 3Com utility still shows the card
with PnP disabled.  I put in a different card, reprogrammed, and
still nothing is going out the RJ45 port.  I specified the "link0 link1"
flags in the ifconfig in rc.conf.  Also, when rebooting my system
hung when it was attempting to bring up the ep0 interface.  I
rebooted again and after all the fsck stuff (blah!) it came up
again.  I should also mention that before trying the hub, I
tried using 2 different crossover cables on the RJ45 ports with
the same results (or lack thereof).

With the RJ45 port I now only see Opkts with no collisions or
Oerrs in the netstat -I output.  With the BNC port, every outgoing
packet resulted in an Oerr and a collision.  Any other ideas?

Jeff Henning