Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:03:19 -0800
From:      "Ravi Murty" <ravi.murty@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   td_critnest

Hello All,

The implementation of critical_enter and critical_exit changed between
freebsd 5 and freebsd 6. In the newer implemtnation, the code checks if
td_critnest is 1 and if it is sets it to zero, then checks if the thread
owes a preempt. If so, it increments td_critnest by 1 before grabbing a lock
and then decrements it back to zero. I can't figure out why it does this.
The freebsd 5 implementation seems straightforward where we check if the
thread owes a preempt and if so we switch to the new thread. Can anyone help
me with this?

Thanks
Ravi