Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 16:28:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
To:        George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
Cc:        Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>, Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: EIDE drive performance improvements

There's no real way to force it, FreeBSD by default chooses the fastest
safe settings for a drive. if that is an IBM you might be able to turn on
tagged queueing, which should speed things up however...

hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
hw.ata.wc: 1
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1

these are the sysctl options that you can change from /boot/loader.conf.

if you do a sysctl hw.ata it should display these values. Make sure that
hw.ata.wc is set to 1 (although this can sometimes be risky) and if you
think your drive supports tagged queueing you can turn that on too, to do
this just add the line

hw.ata.tags=1 to /boot/loader.conf

And you still didn't answer my question about having the 80-conductor
cable. Also, if you have that ibm drive hooked to the same cable as an
ata33 drive, the IBM will not go any faster than ata33.

Ken