Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:11:42 -0500
From:      Chris Cook <ccook@tcworks.net>
To:        Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk>
Cc:        Agbenya Adotey <gagbey@ghana.com>, Freebsd <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: logging

Rus Foster wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Agbenya Adotey wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> > i work in an ISP. we are looking for a dedicated logging server for our
> > customers. we want to build a freebsd box that would communicate with our
> > dial-in routers and logging in all activities that go on.
> > Does any body have a solution for this?
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> See if your routers can sent messages to a SYSLOG host. If so config
> syslogd.conf on the FreeBSD box to accept it
>
> Rus

On this note I am having trouble with syslogd accepting outside logging
since upgrading from 3-stable to 4-stable.  I understand that the syslog
in the 4-x branch is much more secure and that you have to specify for
it to allow logging from hosts but even when I use:

syslogd -a "ip address"

it will not log from localhosts... it WILL log from hosts on a different
subnet.  any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Chris