Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:23:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        skrishna@cisco.com (Sridhar Krishnan)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Recognizing serial ports (was: FreeBSD 2.1 Help)

Sridhar Krishnan writes:

> I have not resolved the problem using the internal modem on COM1. Here is the
> scenario:
>
> I have MWave card on IBM Aptiva system that combines the functions of a
> Sound Card, some DSP, COM1 Fax/Modem. The COM1 has an i/o address of
> 02F8h (0x2f8) and uses IRQ 4. I have PS/2 mouse which is working fine.
>
> Has anybody heard of the Mwave Card ? I scanned through the FAQ for
> hardware support and I could not find any.
>
> The system also comes with two (extrenal) serial ports A & B which are
> configured as COM2 (0x3e8, IRQ 3) and COM3 (0x3e8, IRQ 4).

Standard PC hardware will not let you share serial port interrupts.  I
don't know to what extent your hardware is standard, but the fact that
the probes don't recognize your ports suggest that this could be the
problem.

> I have tried kernel configuration:
> - sio0 with 0x2f8 and intr. 4 , with/without  conflicts clause
> and commented out sio1, sio2 and sio3. I saw the WIN95 config, it shows
> COM1 at the above address.
>
> During boot, the kernel says that sio0 is not configured because 0x2f8
> does not respond.

I believe it's looking for an interrupt.  The other port is holding
the interrupt inactive, so it doesn't get one.

> The only way sio0 would work is if I configured my
> kernel for 0x38h which is actually COM3. That is why my modem is not
> responding (sincve it is configured as COM3).

I don't quite understand this, but it's probably not the problem.

> How do I get the kernel to recognize sio0 ? Does the serial driver only
> recognize serial port cards and not this multi-function card. If so, any
> ideas how I can use the built-in modem.

I'd suggest that you start by choosing a different IRQ for each of
your serial ports.  It doesn't matter much which you choose, though
I'd personally stick with IRQ 4 for sio0, IRQ3 for sio1, and something
else (IRQ2?  IRQ5?  nothing at all?) for sio2.  That way the kernel
should recognize it at boot.

Greg