Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 20:39:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>, bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Subject:   Re: Why installing ports on a computer?

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> I wasn't thinking so much of keeping things up to date, rather a way
> around having /usr/ports extracted to disk except when needed. Unpacking
> ports.tgz is the slowest part of the installation for most people and it
> eats a lot of space..

If it really is too large, maybe it is time to break off the ja-,
ko-, etc. lang-specific ports into a separate installation
packet.

It seems to me, though, that installation is a one-time thing and
the amount of time it takes to unpack ports.tgz doesn't really
figure when you view it that way...

> The only (minor) problem I have using cvsup to track the ports tree is
> that dependencies are installed based on the version number and not the
> port name - in many cases this is a good thing, but it can result in
> spending a long time fetching and making new versions of perl5,etc. that
> often aren't really needed.

Don't expect this to get fixed anytime soon.  It would require
significant manpower to say what things really are needed, and
what old versions will suffice.  We have nowhere near the
manpower resources to handle the increase in support and
debugging that would be generated, IMO.

You're going to have that problem regardless of how you track the
ports tree.  It is not specific to using CVSup.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk