Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 02:13:30 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, Doug@gorean.org, drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

At 7:49 PM -0400 2000/4/4, Michael Lucas wrote:

>  I'd actually suggest that you (plural you, not Brad you) turn this
>  around.

	Some very good points.  Thank you!

>  You enjoy code?  Cool, pick a PR.

	I don't think we ever have to worry about my doing any code for
this project.  I have been quite pointedly told that my recent
actions here have ensured that I'll never be allowed to be a
committer, and that I'll never, ever work for the company.  And you
know what?  I think I'm actually kind of glad.

>  True again.  But how many modern operating systems actually manage
>  this?  I'm not aware of any.  (I could quite well be wrong, I usually
>  am when making a blanket statement.)

	Good point, very few OSes do well at this.  It's just so
frustrating to see FreeBSD do so well in other areas, and then
occasionally fall down so miserably in things like this.

>  I've learned to grok POLA from context as "changing something behind
>  the scenes that breaks interfaces", but I'm now surrendering to
>  acronym curiosity:
>
>  What the *heck* does POLA stand for, exactly?  Path Of Least Action?

	I think we need a BSD Jargon File.  ;-)

	I had to do a Google search in order to explain it to someone
else.  I originally used it just from kinda-semi-sorta-grokking
previous uses of this term by Jordan.  Anyway, it means "Principle of
Least Astonishment", which is actually a phrase I've heard before
(and makes a whole lot of sense), but I had never put the two
together.