Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 16:10:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ryan Mooney <ryan@pcslink.com>
To:        carol@tinker.com (Carol Deihl)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, andrew@kohtz.com
Subject:   Re: usernames longer than 8 characters

<snip>

> The (old) patches
> are at http://www.westnet.com/providers, but they've not
> been incorporated into the current popper release.

Actually the latest patches there apply to popper 2.52 which is only
one rev old, and mostly works cleanly with 2.53 (the current rev), at
least as far as I can remember (I may have manually applied one patch?).
I haven't made diffs for 2.53 yet :(

<snip>
> Based on patches picked up from www.westnet.com/providers.
> This version uses hash instead of dbm for the virt pop table,
> since our FreeBSD sendmail makemap program has hash compiled in,
> instead of dbm.
> Also fixes a sig 11 bug in patch for pop_init.c, if you don't have
> your reverse dns set up properly (yet).

The latest version there has an additional patch for FBSD that uses
lower level newdb library functions.  I was having hair pulling problems
with gdbm (I must have been doing something wrong, but I sure can't
figure out what).

    I found what appears to be a bug in some versions of the ndbm
    compatibility part of the gdbm.  Basically I reduced the code down
    to a pretty simple open, insert, fetch.  The fetch would consistently
    core dump.  As such I've written an alternate version of the
    pop_virtualh.c file that uses the "NEWDB" (#include <db.h>) version
    of the dbm library.

If anyone with a clue wants to tell me what I did wrong, be my guest :)

Also - Carol I don't see what you fixed in pop_init.c, I just did a line
by line (the formatting changes hoses diff) and I don't see it, if you
would be so kind as to point out exactly whats different from the current
version....  Zip me a private mail on this one, thanks.

<snip>

Ryan Mooney           Phone (602)265-9188         PCSLink
ryan@pcslink.com                            Internet Services
 NT is an excellent choice for managers who need to show that they used
 up their fiscal year budget for hardware/software expenditures.