Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:29:01 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "David G. Andersen" <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File table exhaustion patch

Thus spake David G. Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>:
> In PR 45353, I've submitted a patch to reserve a handfull of
> file table entries for root-only use, to mitigate the effects
> of user processes that leak file descriptors:
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=45353
>
> Even with per-process file descriptor limits, it's pretty
> easy for a buggy program that does any kind of forking to
> run the system out of file table entries (or for a malicious
> user to do so).  The patch above is trivial, and at least
> enables root to login and fix things up a bit.  I've been
> running it locally for about a week, and it's happy.
>
> Is the form of the solution acceptable?  (And if so, anyone
> interested in committing it to -current for a while? ;-)

Cool!  I have two minor comments:

- Use suser(9) for the purpose of checking superuserness.

- Instead of making the default reservation maxfiles/20, a
  constant might be more appropriate.  The administrator
  does not need proportionately more file table entries to
  log in and kill misbehaving processes on larger systems.